Protecting young blueberry bushes in winter #816882

Asked November 24, 2022, 10:28 AM EST

Hi there, I planted three blueberry bushes in Spring 2022 and am wondering if I need to do anything to protect them over the winter? They're each about 2' tall now. Do they need to be protected form the cold with mulch or anything? Thanks, Devin

Chittenden County Vermont

Hi Devin.  Thanks for contacting the UVM Extension Master Gardener helpline.

Since your blueberry bushes are in the ground, I think you can simply cover the ground around them with a thick layer of mulch (straw or wood chips would work well).  At least 6-8 inches.  This will keep the ground from heaving and disturbing the young root system of the bushes.   In the spring, as the ground begins to warm (think March or April), pull the mulch away and replace with a 1-2 inch layer of compost.  Remove the mulch materials so your compost heap and let them finish decomposing.  It shouldn't be necessary to do any above ground cover with burlap or poly.

Hope this helps.
Jessie Schilling Replied November 24, 2022, 10:43 AM EST
Perfect, thank you Jessie. Happy Thanksgiving!

Devin

On Nov 24, 2022, at 10:43 AM, Ask Extension <askextension@eduworks.com> wrote:

The Question Asker Replied November 24, 2022, 11:08 AM EST
You’re welcome, Devin, and Happy Thanksgiving to you too.
Jessie

On Nov 24, 2022, at 11:08 AM, Ask Extension <askextension@eduworks.com> wrote:

Jessie Schilling Replied November 24, 2022, 11:54 AM EST