Too late to mulch? #816855

Hello, hope you can give me advice (again!). We planted about 500 naturalizing daffodils, in addition to some alliums and tulips in our yard (grass was removed). We planned to add mulch. Unfortunately, due to an unforeseen extended period out of town we did not get our mulch applied before the snow arrived. This week the weather has warmed, still snow on the ground, but it is melting. If snow continues to melt and the ground is bare would you advise adding mulch then? Or is the damage already done. If a thaw continues and then the inevitable freeze returns doesn’t that do more damage to bulbs (as well as plants)? Thanks for your advice. And Happy Thanksgiving!

Hennepin County Minnesota

It is a good idea to mulch the soil.  The soil may not be frozen yet so go ahead and apply the mulch even if there is snow on the ground. The bulbs are most likely not dead if they will planted at the correct depth.
Pat Mack Replied November 23, 2022, 1:57 PM EST
Thank you! We did indeed get everything mulched.
And we did plant bulbs according to planting instructions ( I even used a tape measure ).☺️
Appreciate your help and the U Of M extension service.
V.Calder

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 23, 2022, at 12:57 PM, Ask Extension <askextension@eduworks.com> wrote:

The Question Asker Replied November 25, 2022, 6:05 PM EST