Overwinter potted geranium in garage #816853

I have a potted geranium that I would like to overwinter in my garage and I have been able to find some general information but I have not found specifics for our Colorado climate. I’m curious how often I should water, frequency of artificial light it needs and when to prune it back before bringing back outside in the spring. Any tips, advice or resources would be most appreciated.

Boulder County Colorado

Hello, Kylee,

Thank you for writing to us with your question about overwintering geraniums in Colorado. Many people overwinter geraniums, a tender perennial, successfully by bringing them indoors before the first frost.

Here is the link to "Preserving Timeless Beauty," a two page flyer about how to keep them healthy and happy indoors, ready to put back outside when all chances of frost have passed in the spring.

https://arapahoe.extension.colostate.edu/2022/11/06/preserving-timeless-beauty

Note that one of the methods you can use is re-potting the plant in fresh potting soil (this minimizes the risk of bringing insects in with the plant). Garden soil is too heavy for indoor use.

I hope this information is helpful to you!

Regards,
Colorado Master Gardener
Boulder County
Boulder County Master Gardener Replied November 24, 2022, 11:08 AM EST