apple sauce without 10 min bath #811864

My friend wants to can applesauce the old-fashioned way. By turning the jar upside down and let it cool then turn it right side up until you hear the pop of the lid. I told her its dangerous and that a 10min bath will be safer. what do you think 

Benton County Oregon

Please tell your friend that this is not a safe way to process food today.  This was the method used years ago and as you well know apple varieties, growing conditions and even more important the microorganisms are not the same as they were then.  New research shows that because of the density of apple sauce they are now recommending reheating the apple sauce to boiling before putting into the jars and then processing in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minute for pints and 20 minutes for quarts.  

Hope that helps.  If you have other questions you might like to call the OSU Food Preservation Hotline open M-F from 9 am-4 pm.  Certified Master Food Preserver volunteers are available to answer your questions. The number is 1-800-354-7319.  

Thanks for using Ask Extension

Nellie Oehler
Nellie Oehler Replied September 22, 2022, 9:34 PM EDT