Syrah grapes in Oregon #804845

Hello… I have about a half acre of gently sloped southern facing land near the Willamette Falls (West Linn). Elevation is about 120 feet. It gets full sun as there are no trees or adjacent buildings. Soil is riparian and currently is grass covered. I’d like to plant 500 or 600 Syrah grape vines and eventually produce wine. Are there any success stories of people growing Syrah grapes in the Willamette Valley? It seems everyone produces Pinot noir… thanks in advance for any info. Jim

Clackamas County Oregon

There are some commercial vineyards and wineries who are growing and producing Syrah here in the Willamette Valley, but it is very small acreage and was originally a "test" for what may grow in the future with climate change. However, the season is typically not warm enough to produce a fully ripe Syrah wine as compared to warmer regions of the state, US, or world where Syrah is typically produced. If you are looking to be commercial and produce wine, consider planting a more suited cool climate variety on your location to ensure proper ripeness consistently year after year. The more ripe the fruit is, the greater the quality potential for the wines.

Please see our Extension resources within the article, Starting a Vineyard, to learn more about other factors in developing your wine business in Oregon. See also resources on the OSU Extension Wine Grape website.
Patty Skinkis Replied August 05, 2022, 7:13 PM EDT