Speaker for drip irrigation workshop? #804842

Hello, Do y'all have speakers available for talks to groups and other organizations? I would be interested in anyone who could speak about drip irrigation in a residential yard. Thanks, Amy Simpson

Travis County Texas

Hi Amy,
We don't have speakers for garden groups but may be able to organize a hands on workshop with a 2-hour 20 person minimum. 
Can you provide more details on what you are looking for?
Sheryl Williams Replied August 05, 2022, 5:18 PM EDT
Hey Sheryl,

I am the secretary for Capital Area Master Naturalists. I am organizing a project with Jason Lawson of Brackenridge Field Lab to restore the pollinator garden at the west end of their property on Lake Austin Blvd. I am setting the project up as a series of hands-on workshops where volunteers would be taught by an instructor and then would actually work in the garden. We want to give people the opportunity to learn and to do, so then they can go home and create more pollinator gardens. 

Currently there is drip irrigation at the site (about 10 years old), but neither Jason nor myself knows what kind of shape it's in--Should it be replaced totally? Could it be repaired? BFL is providing the budget for the project and will pay for replacement or repair parts. I'm looking for someone who could teach the group about drip irrigation installation (pros and cons, etc) and lead the volunteers to either repair or replace the system. 

I'm envisioning a weekend morning and/or weekday evening. 20-25 people. And we'd like to schedule for sometime this fall, though if these temps don't let up, I'm moving it to January!

The volunteers would be members of CAMN as well as the UT/BFL community, so perhaps more knowledgeable and dedicated to our environment than the average person off the street. 

We are still in the planning stages, and nothing is set in stone. I'm open to suggestions and would be happy for referrals.

Thank you,
Amy

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 4:18 PM Ask Extension <askextension@eduworks.com> wrote:
Amy Simpson Replied August 05, 2022, 6:05 PM EDT
Hi Amy, 

This sounds right up our alley. We did a similar workshop/install prior to the pandemic at a local church garden. I'm very familiar with CAMN. 

My process is that I assemble a team of our Master Gardener volunteers who have irrigation training to come out and do a site visit. From there we can help you scope the project. 

None of my people are licensed irrigators so we won't be able to help you with a pressurized set up or plumbing from the water main. 

If this still sounds like it's doable, let me know when you are available over the next few weeks for a site visit/planning session and we can get this scoped.

My direct email is sheryl.williams@ag.tamu.edu
Sheryl Williams Replied August 05, 2022, 6:31 PM EDT