fertilizing yews #798647

Dear MG: One of my taunton yews is not vigorous. Before I remove it, my landscaper suggested I try a fertilizer. What fertilizer do you suggest? Thank you Marcia Kaufmann

Dakota County Minnesota

Taunton’ yew shows superior resistance to heat and winter burn.Yews don't like "wet feet" and can develop root problems if their roots are kept too wet. Yews are quite sensitive to deicing salts used on roadways and sidewalks. Evergreens grow better when soil pH is  slightly acidic because many nutrients may be unavailable to the plant when soil is too alkaline. Plants need fertilizer when new growth is sparse or slow.
Needles are not a healthy green color, or are shorter than normal.You are trying to grow evergreens in a less than ideal site, such as very sandy or heavy clay soil.It is always best to submit a soil sample to the University of Minnesota Soil Testing Laboratory before purchasing and applying fertilizer, as most soil in MN already has sufficient amounts of phosphorus. https://apps.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/plant/evergreen/yew/
It is always best to submit a soil sample to the University of Minnesota Soil Testing Laboratory before purchasing and applying fertilizer, as most soil in MN already has sufficient amounts of phosphorus.
Pat Mack Replied June 29, 2022, 5:32 PM EDT
Dear MG:

Thank you so much for your sage advice.  

I do appreciate it.

Marcia Kaufmann

On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 4:33 PM Ask Extension <askextension@eduworks.com> wrote:
Marcia Kaufmann Replied July 01, 2022, 8:17 AM EDT