What kind of catapiller #797433

I put my shoe on and felt a stinging/pricking sensation. I took my shoe off and there was a cocoon with a larva in it. What kind of insect pricked/stung me?

Lane County Oregon

Hi Amber,

Some of the caterpillars in the family Erebidae, subfamily Arctiinae (formerly placed in the family Arctiidae) shed their caterpillar hairs that way and spin them into a case around the larva as it pupates. Here is an example...
https://bugguide.net/node/view/1058049
However, I can't see enough detail in your photos to ID the caterpillar with certainty.

Here is some info I found on the types of caterpillars that have stinging (= urticating) hairs...

"The three most important lepidopteran families with stinging caterpillars are Limacodidae, Megalopygidae, and Saturniidae. Other families include Lymantriidae, Arctiidae, Lasiocampidae, Noctuidae, Thaumetopeidae, Nymphalidae, and Morphoidae. With the exception of the last two families, all are moths as adults."

Sorry I can't be more specific on the type of caterpillar you encountered.

Best wishes!

William Gerth Replied June 23, 2022, 3:39 PM EDT