Asian hornet? #791670

I am assuming this is not an Asian hornet but I don’t feel like it looks like any of the other bugs that are mistaken for these.

Washington County Maryland

Oh I think I see !  It is a European hornet? I see only the face is yellow and also the little triangle things on the black stripes. These things freaky lol thanks!

Christina Blandeburgo Replied May 19, 2022, 2:35 PM EDT
You got the ID right -- this is a European Hornet, and they are actually very common throughout our region. (Although non-native, they've been in the U.S. for over a century.) Queens that spent the winter in sheltered spots by themselves are active now, flying about to find and start-up a new nest. Nests are not re-used from year to year. European Hornets fly both day and night, so if you find more in the coming weeks, they may be drawn to outdoor night lighting as they hunt for insects. Despite their size, they usually aren't aggressive unless defending a nest site from perceived intrusion. If they keep getting inside, check for worn door weather-stripping, torn window screening, or other access points.

Miri
Mira Talabac Replied May 19, 2022, 5:29 PM EDT