Help with Pachysandra #790674

It looks like my pachysandra which is always been fairly healthy and did not do well after the winter. Can you tell me if you think this will come back or if not what I should do?

Hennepin County Minnesota

Japanese Pachysandra spreads by underground stems called rhizomes. It spreads by rhizomes that are very aggressive. Pachysandra is easily transplanted from divisions in the spring.  Japanese Pachysandra is very difficult to eradicate once established. Both mechanical and chemical removal are good options for controlling this species. While digging the plant up by hand can be an effective method of removal for small areas. It is important to be sure to remove all portions of the underground rhizomes to minimize the amount of
regrowth.  Because if even small pieces of rhizomes survive  the plant will be able to reestablish.  This may take a few years to fill in. 
Your tree may have stem girdling roots. A tree is girdled when the roots wrap around the stem. Stem girdling roots choke off the flow of water and nutrients between the roots and branches and food produced in the leaves from reaching the roots. The most common theory of the cause of stem girdling roots, is that they develop as a result of trees being planted too deeply. Stem girdling roots are commonly removed by using wood gouges, saws or pruners if they have caused minimal stem compression. If one has caused
extensive compression, removal treatment must be careful not to damage
the stem. Such roots are frequently left in place when they cannot be
removed safely. If stem compression from a stem girldling root is more than one third to
one half of the stem circumference, removal of that tree should be
considered because the tree’s stability is compromised. Again, it may be necessary to consult with a certified arborist. Please read the following site about stem girdling roots.
  https://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advice-tips-resources/pests-and-problems/environmental/girdling.aspx

A certified arborist should be consulted about this beautiful tree.

https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/how-hire-tree-care-professional

Pat Mack Replied May 13, 2022, 6:59 PM EDT