Black knot resistant plum #775704 - Ask Extension

Black knot resistant plum #775704

I was wondering if there is a black knot resistant ornamental plum tree. I am also looking for an ornamental cherry tree that is resistant to the fungal disease that causes the leaves to turn brown and drop early that so many of cherries seem to have in my area.

Montgomery County Maryland

They may be out there, but we are not aware of a resistant ornamental plum for our area. If you are looking for a tree with burgundy leaves there are some options like our native Prunus virginiana 'Canada Red' (leaves begin green and turn purplish), native Redbuds 'Forest Pansy' and 'Merlot', and the 'Black Diamond' series of Crapemyrtle.

For ornamental cherries, it is the Yoshino types that tend to get so much leaf spot/shothole disease and early defoliation.  Kwanzaan Cherry trees with fluffy, fully double pink flowers and 'Mt. Fugi' with white ones do better here.

Christine

Christine McComas Replied October 19, 2021, 10:56 AM EDT

Christine,

Thanks for the input.  You are my official problem solver of the week.

Thanks again,

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 10:57 AM Ask Extension <askextension@eduworks.com> wrote:
J Miller Replied October 19, 2021, 11:07 AM EDT

You are quite welcome and I am pleased to have been awarded the designation.

Christine McComas Replied October 19, 2021, 11:55 AM EDT