Maple Trees - bark turning dark/black? #775295 - Ask Extension

Maple Trees - bark turning dark/black? #775295

Hello, I live in St. Paul. A number of maple trees in my neighborhood and in my yard seem to be turning dark/black. Some of the trees in the neighborhood also look unhealthy (bare branches, discolored leaves), but the ones in my yard and boulevard look pretty healthy. Do you know what might be wrong and if there is anything I can/should do? Most of my maple trees are on the boulevard. Thank you, Becky Erickson

Ramsey County Minnesota

From the pictures your trees look fine. The darkening bark isn't abnormal. Making sure your trees get an inch of water per week until the ground freezes will keep them healthy.

Claire Kari Replied October 13, 2021, 8:06 PM EDT
Thank you! That is reassuring. I’m going to water them tomorrow, since we didn’t end up getting much rain today.
Becky

On Oct 13, 2021, at 7:07 PM, Ask Extension <askextension@eduworks.com> wrote:

Becky Erickson Replied October 13, 2021, 8:18 PM EDT

Me too, I am getting tired of watering, wish were getting more if it is going to be cloudy all day.

Claire Kari Replied October 13, 2021, 8:39 PM EDT