New shelter belt care #763115 - Ask Extension

New shelter belt care #763115

Hello. We planned a 300 foot shelter belt with BH spruce, red cedars, chokecherries, and redosier dogwoods. The rows of chokecherries and dogwoods have started to get holes in their leaves. I don't know if it's insects or mold or bacteria or what. How do I identify what the problem is and then how do I treat it? I want to have healthy shrubs and trees so our shelter belt grows for years to come. First 2 photos dogwoods with multiple little holes. Last photo chokecherry with some bigger holes and spots. Thank you.

Lincoln County South Dakota

I'm going to lean on my colleagues Dr. John Ball (john.ball@sdstate.edu) and Dr. Amanda Bachmann to assist with this question.

Kristine Lang Replied July 21, 2021, 6:59 PM EDT

OK let me know please and thank you!

Tigh Leibel Replied July 25, 2021, 11:29 AM EDT

The good thing about holes in leaves is that the plants will have new leaves next year. The amount of defoliation doesn't look too bad and based on your county it could be anything from previous grasshopper or Japanese beetle damage. Have you caught any potential insect culprits?

Amanda Bachmann Replied July 28, 2021, 5:03 PM EDT

I have not noticed any insects that are actively eating the leaves. If it is nothing to worry about let me know or if you think I should apply some type of pesticide let me know! Thanks!

Tigh Leibel Replied July 28, 2021, 5:24 PM EDT

I'd just keep scouting and focus on making sure they have enough water. I would not apply any insecticide without first identifying an actual culprit.

Amanda Bachmann Replied July 28, 2021, 5:27 PM EDT