mature pin oak trees #757312 - Ask Extension

mature pin oak trees #757312

We have a lot of pin oak trees in our neighborhood and many look like they are stressed with dead leaves. I know they need more water than most oaks and I wonder if the extended draught we have had this spring is contributing to their demise. They start looking bad and it take a few years but gradually they are dying. I have 3 40 year old pin oaks on my property and I water them when we have long dry spells. Mine look better than most but I do have some dead leaves this year.

Howard County Maryland

Mature oaks have been having a tough time in recent years.

To best help you with your problem we'd like to see photos of what you are seeing, both of the whole tree, affected leaves, and of where the trunk enters the ground.

Any additional information that you can provide of the growing area- how well it drains, how you water, etc. would be useful.

You can attach up to 3 photos at a time directly to this reply. We will be happy to take a look.

Christine

Christine McComas Replied June 21, 2021, 10:32 AM EDT