Striped Maple problem #755396 - Ask Extension

Striped Maple problem #755396

One of my customers Striped Maple tree is having problems, large sections of a substantial limb are discolored, something is happening? The tree is about 20 years old, I put Plant Tone in the garden in the spring and it has never been sprayed with anything, however there is a Walnut tree in the neighbors yard about 60 feet away. They have a sprinkler system, but as of this year it has not been turned on. Can you tell me how I can help this tree? I have more photos, but it would not let me load them, files too big I guess.

Grand Traverse County Michigan

Please try to attach more pictures. The maple should be tolerant of the walnut. It prefers acid soil, dappled shade, and moist soil. 
https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/acer-pensylvanicum/

Maples are famous for having a girdling root problem, so an arborist can carefully excavate the roots and check for that, correcting any that are found. Search by zip code here- www.treesaregood.org

Your pictures may show more, such as canker or insects. Try saving your pix in a smaller format first, then attach here.

Laura Sheffer Replied June 10, 2021, 5:57 PM EDT
Here are more photos.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ask Extension <askextension@eduworks.com>
To: Debbie Graffius <dgraff515@aol.com>
Sent: Thu, Jun 10, 2021 5:40 pm
Subject: Thank you for your Ask Extension question (#0025327)

Dear Debbie,
Thank you for using Ask Extension. A request for support has been created and a representative will follow-up with you as soon as possible. You can view this question's progress online.

YOUR QUESTION #0025327:

Striped Maple problem

Ask Extension offers one-to-one expert answers from Cooperative Extension/University staff and volunteers within participating Land-Grant institutions across the United States.
If you wish to provide additional comments or information regarding the issue, please reply to this email or login to your account for a complete archive of your prior questions and answers.

This message for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for personalized professional advice. For specific local information, contact your local county Cooperative Extension office or other qualified professionals. eXtension Foundation does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, professional services, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned. Reliance on any information provided by eXtension Foundation, employees, suppliers, member universities, or other third parties through eXtension is solely at the user's own risk. All eXtension content and communication is subject to the Terms of Use which may be revised at any time.
dgraff515 Replied June 11, 2021, 5:10 PM EDT

Sorry Debbie, the two you sent were rejected by our system with a “file size too large” message. Please save the pictures at a “medium” or “small” size ( 1mb or less should work) and try attaching them again. Thank you

Laura Sheffer Replied June 11, 2021, 5:36 PM EDT
Sent from my iPhone
Debbie Graffius Replied June 21, 2021, 5:11 PM EDT

Hello Debbie,

The new pictures do not add much more information. Unfortunately, root problems can lead to unexplained death of leaves and branches in the canopy.  To repeat what Laura said, a certified arborist can help you, by exposing the roots, to see what is going on underground.  Find an arborist in your area at www.treesaregood.org to find one in your area.

Thank you for contacting Ask Extension. 

Susan Campbell Replied June 22, 2021, 10:32 AM EDT
Thank you for the information and your time.

-----Original Message-----
To: Debbie Graffius <dgraff515@aol.com>
Sent: Tue, Jun 22, 2021 10:32 am
Subject: Re: Striped Maple problem (#0025327)

dgraff515 Replied June 22, 2021, 2:04 PM EDT

You're welcome.

Susan Campbell Replied June 23, 2021, 11:18 AM EDT