historic Sycamore tree #755381 - Ask Extension

historic Sycamore tree #755381

Six feet from my house, I have a Sycamore tree that is about 6 feet in diameter at the base of the trunk. As you can imagine it is extremely tall and some of the branches are over 12 inches in diameter. In the past month I have had 2 major branches break and fall down. Luckily neither hit my house. The branches were not dead (they had leaves growing on them). The branches did not seem to have termites or rotting. I have lived here 20 years and this is the first time this has happened. The last thing that I would want to do is to have to cut this beautiful tree down but also don't want to have a branch fall on my house. Any advise or suggestions? I live in Ypsilanti

Washtenaw County Michigan

Hello Eileen,

Even though you did not notice a pest or disease - there might be something going on inside the tree and/or branches.

For your safety and the general public,
 I would hire a certified arborist to come on-site and tell him/her that these huge branches fell down. The arborist will examine the entire tree. You want an arborist, not just a tree service worker who may not have any schooling in diseases and pests. Find an arborist by zip code at: https://www.treesaregood.org/findanarborist/arboristsearch

Melville Kennedy Replied June 10, 2021, 5:50 PM EDT