mature blueberry bush didn't flower this year #749859 - Ask Extension

mature blueberry bush didn't flower this year #749859

I have a mature (perhaps 10 years old--it's six feet tall roughly) blueberry bush that for the past 7 years has been flowering and producing fruit beautifully every spring. Tons of flowers/tons of fruit. This year, however, it barely blossomed at all--just a few flowers. Meaning, there were no buds, no flowers at all on most of the bush. Why would this happen, after so many years of producing so much?

We prune it every fall, and keep it mulched, but otherwise we don't do anything to maintain it. It is so well established and just hasn't seemed to need our help beyond keeping it pruned--but maybe all these years we were actually doing something wrong, and it's now emerging as a problem? Or, is it a weird weather situation (we are in Greenfield Massachusetts, and have had a long, cold, wet spring)? I would love any thoughts and tips you might have for me! Thanks

Franklin County Massachusetts

Thank you for your question.  Here is information from your state's Extension service which may answer it:  https://ag.umass.edu/fruit/ne-small-fruit-management-guide/highbush-blueberries!Good luck

Kristena LaMar Replied May 14, 2021, 11:04 AM EDT