Planting apple trees #747900 - Ask Extension

Planting apple trees #747900

I just bough 2 bare-root apple trees (1 honey crisp and 1 Zester) for a mothers day present. Wondering how I go about planting these and where. I have a field with well drained soil, mostly gravel but there is grass and other things growing in that area (assuming some useable top soil present), and plenty of sun in that location. This location would have the most sun, although there are many more places to plant without as much sunlight. There is a large native crab apple tree in that field, and many others around on the property. I am located in Zimmerman MN, Baldwin township. Appreciate your feedback, you guys have always been very helpful!

Sherburne County Minnesota

I am a little concerned with the soil being mostly gravel but you can add good compost up to 1/3 of the volume of soil in the planting soil.  This will give the tree roots some organic matter and nutrients.  It will be important to water well on a regular basis and the trunks must be protected in the winter from critters (mice/voles/rabbits) who can eat that sweet bark off.  Here are a couple links.  Please ready through them completely.  Growing apples in the home garden | UMN Extension     How to prepare your trees for winter | UMN Extension

Barbara Harlan Replied May 04, 2021, 12:16 PM EDT