What is this bug? #745841 - Ask Extension

What is this bug? #745841

These little bugs are in my apartment climbing up the walls, in/on the window and sills, in the groves of the sliding patio doors. The picture I am enclosing is of one in the bathroom sink. What are they and how do I get them out and keep them out?

Marion County Ohio

This insect is one of the carpet/furniture beetles. The adults beetles don't damage much, it is their larvae. Carpet beetle larvae feed on lots of different natural products such as woolen fabric, carpets, furs. Larvae feed in dark, undisturbed locations and on a variety of dead animals (dead mice, dead bees or wasps, and other insects) and animal products such as wool, silk, leather, fur, hair paint brushes with natural bristles, pet hair, and feathers; occasionally they feed on stored products such as certain spices and grains. However, they do not feed on synthetic fibers.

Getting rid of carpet beetles will take some serious effort. Sanitation is one of the steps. Eliminate accumulations of lint, hair, dead insects, and other debris that serve as food for carpet beetles. Throw out badly infested items. Remove old spider webs and bird, rodent, bee, and wasp nests, which can harbor infestations. Be sure that window screens, doors, and vents are secure to keep carpet beetles from flying in from outdoor sources. Regular and thorough cleaning of rugs, draperies, upholstered furniture, closets, and other locations where carpet beetles congregate is an important preventive and control technique. Frequent, thorough vacuuming is an effective way of removing food sources as well as carpet beetle eggs, larvae, and adults. After vacuuming infested areas, dispose of the collected material and/or bag promptly, because it can contain eggs, larvae, or adult insects.

Here is a link to a fact sheet on carpet beetles for more information:

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7436.html

Curtis Young Replied April 23, 2021, 11:28 AM EDT