Rhubarb #745821 - Ask Extension

Rhubarb #745821

What should I do with my rhubarb, since it showed and froze

Washtenaw County Michigan

Hello Cindy

Wait a few days to see which stalks are blackened or mushy. Pull and discard those stalks. The stalks that grow and stay firm are fine to use. Here is some Extension information on the subject of late freezes and rhubarb.

From North Dakota Extension

“When do you have to worry about rhubarb? Rhubarb stalks in your garden that have frozen to the point where the stalks become damaged or mushy should be discarded. Check the leaves, too. If the stalks are firm and upright and the leaves have little damage, the rhubarb is OK. Discard the damaged ones and enjoy the stalks that grow later.

As with anything, when in doubt, don’t eat it.”

https://blogs.extension.iastate.edu/answerline/2017/05/01/what-if-my-rhubarb-freezes/

Laura Sheffer Replied April 23, 2021, 10:33 AM EDT
Thank you for your response

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021, 9:50 AM Ask Extension <askextension@eduworks.com> wrote:

Dear Cindy,

Thank you for using Ask Extension. A request for support has been created and a representative will follow-up with you as soon as possible. You can view this question's progress online.

YOUR QUESTION #0015752:

Rhubarb

Ask Extension offers one-to-one expert answers from Cooperative Extension/University staff and volunteers within participating Land-Grant institutions across the United States.

If you wish to provide additional comments or information regarding the issue, please reply to this email or login to your account for a complete archive of your prior questions and answers.

This message for informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for personalized professional advice. For specific local information, contact your local county Cooperative Extension office or other qualified professionals. eXtension Foundation does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, professional services, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned. Reliance on any information provided by eXtension Foundation, employees, suppliers, member universities, or other third parties through eXtension is solely at the user's own risk. All eXtension content and communication is subject to the Terms of Use which may be revised at any time.

Cindy Fischer Replied April 23, 2021, 6:09 PM EDT