PHA #745374 - Ask Extension


PHA #745374

Asked April 20, 2021, 3:56 PM EDT

Hello, I'm trying to find out more about help getting my own home. Someone we telling me about Section 8 and when I was looking on the web it brought me to a page with this information. Thank you. Cassandra

Shiawassee County Michigan

Expert Response

Hello Cassandra,

Your are correct, the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program, is a program that can help people achieve Homeownership.  Visit this website to learn more and see program eligibility criteria:

These programs often require Homeownership Education, which MSU Extension offers.  We are offering these classes on a weekly basis.  Please visit our website for class dates and times:

Kind Regards,

Jinnifer Ortquist, MSU Extension Educator

Jinnifer Ortquist Replied April 20, 2021, 7:31 PM EDT

Do I take the class first? Or can I fill something out. I'm  a single mom low income and live in HUD housing apartments  but am trying to get a home to raise my kids in. I'm in Shiawassee  county.

Cassandra Ackels Replied April 21, 2021, 1:44 PM EDT

It is completely up to you, which you pursue first.  There may be a waiting list for the Housing Choice Voucher Program in your community, so if you are interested, you may want to try to get on a waiting list.  To find out more about this in your community I would encourage you to try 1) your local DHHS at,5885,7-339-73970_5461_66820-288014--,00.html; 2) Call 2-1-1; 3) or visit this MSHDA website:,4641,7-141-5555_41607---,00.html.

Kind Regards,

Jinnifer Ortquist

Jinnifer Ortquist Replied April 23, 2021, 8:53 AM EDT

Loading ...