Bug #737587 - Ask Extension

Bug #737587

Recently when im in home a bug is attached to my eye near to my eyebrow when I plucked it out about drops of blood is ozzed out and after 10  days I came to college and again found it on morning it is attached to my testis ,when I plucked it out drops of blood is came out same happened I'm worried about it

Jackson County Alaska

That is some species of tick. I've sent the photos to the state veterinarian who has been studying ticks in Alaska and she ID'd to a Ixodid tick. Take a look at her web page, https://dec.alaska.gov/eh/vet/ticks/submit-a-tick/. The page has instructions for submitting the tick for ID. But if it's biting and there are more of them you should collect specimens and consult a doctor to ask about tick born diseases and send in a specimen for ID. There are many native tick species in AK, but most of the problem species are non-native brought into the state with people and pets.

Jozef Slowik Replied February 01, 2021, 1:30 PM EST