Brown Marmorated Stink Bug problem #736510 - Ask Extension

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug problem #736510

Asked January 12, 2021, 12:30 AM EST

My residential backyard in Eugene contains a large vegetable garden and several fruit trees (apple, pear, Italian plum).  We also have mature grapevines covering an outdoor dining area arbor.  We became the owners of this property eight years ago and have had an increasing infestation of stink bugs.  I mostly find the nymphs all over our plum trees in the spring and then the adults do their best to come into our house, in the fall.  I have read your pest management sheet for dealing with stink bugs in orchard crops.  I try very hard not to use pesticides in my backyard, but would be willing to sacrifice one year of our crop of plums if it would really beat back these bugs for a while.  Would you recommend that a backyard gardener like myself first try to install a baited pyramid trap in the spring and then only spray the trees if the nymphs appear?  With a huge variety of food sources and our yard bordering a natural habitat conservation zone, I'm wondering if my battle with this pest is futile?

Lane County Oregon

This is the most complete information I have. Sprays and traps are part of the control, but this is one tough cookie to really control. Read this carefully and good luck.
http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74169.html
Pat Patterson Replied January 12, 2021, 6:38 PM EST