Pink dogwood tree losing its bark #736028 - Ask Extension

Pink dogwood tree losing its bark #736028

My pink dogwood tree is
losing its bark and I want to know why and if I can save it. I have a picture of it and would to know what you think. 

Lebanon County Pennsylvania

Hi:
How did the tree look last year? Dogwoods in full sun usually don't last as long as they would in a natural setting. They do best in partial shade/filtered sunlight, such as in a forest under larger trees. Stressed dogwoods are susceptible to the dogwood borer.

Sometimes, bark can fall off if they are active, though I am not sure they are the problem. https://ag.umass.edu/landscape/fact-sheets/dogwood-borer

Tim Abbey Replied January 04, 2021, 9:22 AM EST
My tree does get sun in the afternoon and is the only tree in my backyard.  Honestly I dont remember seeing this much bark missing before. We do have a bird feeder in this tree and squirrels are always in it so not sure if they are removing the bark. This tree was hit by a big branch from my neighbors tree during an ice storm about 5 years ago and took out the branches from the one side. The trunk of the tree was intact and not affected.  The neighbor cut their tree down after that happened.  I have lived at this property for 13 years now and the tree was there when I brought the house. 
The Question Asker Replied January 04, 2021, 10:21 AM EST
Hi:
Can you send me a picture showing the entire tree and one showing the base of the tree?
Tim Abbey Replied January 04, 2021, 10:24 AM EST
I'm at work now but will take a picture of it tomorrow and send it. Thanks for your quick response 
The Question Asker Replied January 04, 2021, 10:36 AM EST
Hi:
Following up on the additional pictures.
Tim Abbey Replied January 12, 2021, 7:12 AM EST