Hello. We recently pur... #735547 - Ask Extension

Hello. We recently pur... #735547

Hello. We recently purchased a home in Grove City with a creek along the northern border of our property. We’d like to plant some evergreen trees along the creek side as a screen between out property and our northern neighbor, but we are curious what the best evergreens for a creek side planting might be. We are looking for potentially large trees 30+ ft) and hopefully fast growers. Width would also be a plus to limit how many we may need to purchase. Thanks for any assistance you can provide! Steve Church

Franklin County Ohio

Michael Dirr in his book on Hardy Trees and Shrubs suggests Canadian Hemlock and in particular 'Sargentii'. It is a weeping variety that grows to approximately 10 to 15 feet high and 20 to 30 feet wide. You might want to check out that one but I have no idea how fast it would grow or if it would be suitable in your particular site. You might contact an arborist for better information. You might not think of it but my personal experience with a creek was that it flowed little in the Summer but in the Spring after snow melt it became a raging river! The placement of the new plants would be critical to their survival.

Patricia Smeby_MGV Replied December 21, 2020, 10:30 PM EST