Fruit fly in McMinnville #734150 - Ask Extension

Fruit fly in McMinnville #734150

I am new to McMinnvile and keen to establish my yard as a garden. I have heard that fruit fly may be an issue for certain fruit bushes and trees. Is that the case, and if so, what organic remedies might there be.

I am looking at planting an apple tree, blueberry bushes and raspberries. 

Thanks

Ken

Yamhill County Oregon

Spotted wing drosophila (SWD) is a type of fruit fly that does affect blueberries and raspberries along with other fruits. It is not much of a problem for apples, however you will need to treat those for codling moth and potentially other pests.

The publication below gives information about the biology and trapping of SWD so you are aware when they are present. Also, keeping your fruit picked regularly is important so it isn't dropping on the ground. This publication also lists other important cultural techniques so that you could reduce (or if you like avoid spraying. The larvae are not harmful if consumed).

This publication lists the pesticides labeled for raspberry.  Some are organic.

Thank you for using Ask an Expert!

Heather Stoven Replied November 23, 2020, 10:04 AM EST
Thank you so much!
The Question Asker Replied November 23, 2020, 1:45 PM EST