Calhoun County 2020 EMG Basic Training Exercise - Flying Ants #733675 - Ask Extension

Calhoun County 2020 EMG Basic Training Exercise - Flying Ants #733675

Asked November 10, 2020, 11:05 AM EST

At our cottage in Clare County we had a group of flying ants in the track of the sliding glass door.  There were approx. 30-40 of them.  This occurred in the Fall, and I'm not sure how they got in.  We sprayed with ant spray and haven't seen them again, but are concerned that they may be termites?  I Googled it at the time and thought they looked like flying ants from my research, and I wish I would have taken a photo of them.  Do I have reason for concern?
Amy Tuttle

Calhoun County Michigan

If your concern is whether or not these invaders are termites, they likely are not but still can be a nuisance. When an ant colony is first starting up, all the ants it produces are sterile, female worker ants. But when a colony decides to expand, it starts producing winged, sexually mature males and females. These ants take off in a swarm called a nuptial flight and begin to mate. When female ants have been fertilized, they start a new colony. So, that’s why you see all those ants flying around.

The information in the link below will help you see the difference between flying ants and termites.

Ant baits will not work for swarming ants. On method of management is vacuum them up out of your slider's track. Be sure the end of your vacuum hose is sealed so they do not escape before dying.

While the information below is not from a research based organization, it is credible and may be helpful.

Sharon Globig Replied November 11, 2020, 8:47 AM EST
Thank you so much Sharon.  This information is very helpful!
The Question Asker Replied November 11, 2020, 9:27 AM EST