Fuyu Persimmon first harvest #733643 - Ask Extension

Fuyu Persimmon first harvest #733643

Fuyu persimmon approx 8 ft tree planted in Feb 2020 did bear fruit this fall.  I had about 25 persimmons on the tree but they did not get very big (about 2" across).  Are they small because it was the tree's first year in the ground?  Should I have thinned the fruit in early summer?  Also, only a few turned yellowish before the weather turned sub-freezing last night.  I harvested half before the freeze and will take the remainder today, and hope these all ripen in the house.  Thanks.

Washington County Oregon

The smaller than normal size of the 'Fuyu' persimmons is more than likely due to a heavy fruit set on a very young tree.

The usual recommendation for fruit trees is to remove all fruits for the first 3 years. The reason is that it's wise to allow plenty of time for the tree to develop a sturdy root system so that the tree is able to support abundant yields for many years. With fruits in place early on, the tree's energies are diverted from root growth and re-directed to the fruits.

For the next several years, consider removing all fruits that set, thereby helping the tree develop its root system.

Fortunately, frost helps accelerate maturation of Asian persimmons. The catch, though, is that the fruits must already have begun to color up.

Jean R. Natter Replied November 10, 2020, 12:49 PM EST