Calhoun County 2020 EMG Basic Training Exercise #733418 - Ask Extension

Calhoun County 2020 EMG Basic Training Exercise #733418

I am wondering if the small plug-ins such as Pest-Reject are as effective for in-house pests as they claim? We would like to keep small spiders, stink bugs, flies, and an occasional ant out of the house. 
Thank you, Mary Belknap

Calhoun County Michigan

The types of insects you mention arrive through small gaps, screens, or other entry points. Sometimes, it is a natural part of their life cycle to search for a place to spend the winter in the Fall.

I had not heard of this tool until you mentioned it. After searching for this product, I can't find any science-based evidence that it is effective (https://blogs.cornell.edu/nysipm/2016/08/16/ultrasonic-devices-ultra-ineffective/). You will be better off sealing off gaps to the home or smashing/transferring outdoors an unwanted it.
David Lowenstein Replied November 07, 2020, 10:05 PM EST
David
Thank you for your response. I too tried a couple years ago to find some scientific evidence but to know avail. But.....my aunt has had great success and so we tried them as an "experiment" this year with amazing success. Our home is very "sealed" as my husband has worked in the energy business for years.  We have had very few insects this year. It might be interesting for someone to research these items. We would be happy to participate. I was very curious when my aunt raved about them. I thought this avenue of checking would be a solid avenue for information from the experts! Again, thank you.   
Mary C. Belknap, Ph.D. 
The Question Asker Replied November 08, 2020, 8:49 AM EST
David, I had meant to put quotes around "know" avail. Thank you.
The Question Asker Replied November 08, 2020, 8:52 AM EST
Thanks for the note about your experiences with the product. It's an interesting concept to try vibration as a repellent. The fact that your home is sealed well from the elements is an excellent first step towards preventing unwanted insects indoors. 
David Lowenstein Replied November 09, 2020, 9:40 AM EST