Black Currant Sawfly #732507 - Ask Extension

Black Currant Sawfly #732507

I live in Palmer. Our black currants have sawflies. I need some advise on how to control them. I heard that nematodes might be the answer. If so which varieties? Trying to get ready for next year. Thanks

Matanuska-Susitna County Alaska

I assume you've got the imported currant worm. There is not a nematode approved for use in Alaska. So I can't recommend that. Commercial pesticides which contain pyrethrins may be applied earlier in the spring as soon as damage or larvae are seen. They can also be picked off, or shaken from the currant onto a sheet and killed. They pupate in the soil or litter around the plants so cleaning and replacing the ground cover may remove adults which might pop up in the spring to reinfect the bushes. A good data sheet can be found here.
https://webdoc.agsci.colostate.edu/bspm/arthropodsofcolorado/Imported-Currantworm.pdf
Jozef Slowik Replied October 29, 2020, 4:04 PM EDT