rust on pear tree #730767 - Ask Extension

rust on pear tree #730767

Hi there...I have a very small espaliered pear tree and it has several leaf spots which are pear rust. I understand there needs to be a juniper nearby for this disease to continue. I was wondering how near that might need to be becasue i dod not have any juniper. And...whether or not this can be treated successfully. I can easily replace my pear with an apple to avoid the problem but wanted your advice first.. thank you so much and thank you for the wonderful work of the master gardeners extension service.

Multnomah County Oregon

There are two pear rusts in this area, each with a different alternate host. Natters Notes, a blog by a Master Gardener Volunteer, gives photos and information to identify the rusts. (Pear Trees Rust X2). It also discusses the hosts, distance the fungi spores can travel, and includes links to the appropriate PNW Pest Management Handbook pages.
https://blogs.oregonstate.edu/mgmetro/2018/06/01/pear-trees-rust-times-2/
Jacki Dougan Replied October 16, 2020, 11:22 PM EDT