club like something on head end not antennae #726301 - Ask Extension

club like something on head end not antennae #726301

Insect ID. Seeing these this summer for the first time. I think one bit me. They have hopper legs but just crawl.

Cuyahoga County Ohio

This insect is the red-headed bush cricket also called the handsome trig, Phyllopalpus pulchellus. It becomes an adult in late July. It might have nibbled at you to see if you were something good to eat, but they don't typically bite as an attack. They are fairly common in much of the Eastern US. As their name implies, they are found up in the canopies of trees and shrubs, not like their bigger relatives that spend most of their time on the ground. Here is a link to more information: http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2014/02/

The club-like structures on the head are palps associated with the mouth.  There are a couple of theories as to why they are flattened out.  One theory is that the cricket mimics the appearance of a jumping spider.
Curtis Young Replied October 05, 2020, 2:48 PM EDT
Hi Curtis, you nailed it! The links are great.
Thanks, Hilary
The Question Asker Replied October 06, 2020, 5:48 PM EDT