We have seen some of the ... #726239 - Ask Extension

We have seen some of the ... #726239

We have seen some of the hard shelled black beetles in our house lately. They crunch when stepped on. They are fairly quick when you're after them. Easy to kill. All have been black in color. I'm not sure where they are coming from. I have seen them before in years past, just not so many in my house. We got new furniture on Monday. PLEASE TELL ME THEY AREN'T IN THAT!!!! Thank you! Beth

Wayne County Ohio

Hi,
I just sent your question to an entomologist but he might need a better photo.  I'll let you know.
Barb
Barb House - MGV Replied September 23, 2020, 11:48 AM EDT
Just thought I would go ahead and take some more pics and send them anyway. Hope it helps....
The Question Asker Replied September 23, 2020, 12:39 PM EDT

Thank you - those are much better - but he's so good he didn't need them.  Here the answer from Dr. David Shetlar:

"The image is of a common ground beetle. For some reason, we had hundreds of these come to our light traps (both at the Bee Lab and here at my home) in July and August. This suggests that they had plenty of other insects to feed on in the spring and early summer months. I suspect that this person has a lot of flower beds around the home and, probably, too much mulch or other organic debris around the landscape. Being from Wayne County, I’m also suspicious that the person may be near some agricultural fields where the beetles could have built up high populations this season. The beetles are highly attracted to lights at night and during drought conditions, the adults will seek out cool and moist areas to survive until better weather conditions arrive. If a lot are getting into the home, this suggests that the door sweeps have failed and should be inspected and replaced if they are no longer sealing the bottom of the doors."

So you don't have to worry that they came in with your furniture.  That would indeed be horrible!  Let me know if you have any more questions,

Barb

Barb House - MGV Replied September 23, 2020, 5:59 PM EDT