Agricultural Tax Exempt #725690 - Ask Extension


Agricultural Tax Exempt #725690

Asked September 21, 2020, 10:10 AM EDT

I read MSU's article, but I am still confused. Don't I need some kind of tax ID number in order to purchase things for my farm from (for example) Tractor Supply Company? The only thing I see is a form to fill out for my own records. Or do I just state at the register that the purchase is tax exempt? Thanks.

Van Buren County Michigan

Expert Response

I'm not sure which article you reviewed, but you do not need a tax exempt number. It is recommended that you fill out the Michigan Sales and Use Tax Certificate of Exemption or form 3372 and have that available to provide to vendors (like TSC). Often times, vendors will have their own copy of the tax exempt form for you to fill out. I believe TSC is one such vendor.  

However, before filling out the form, I would recommend reviewing the following article (if it isn't the one you already read) that highlights the type of uses that are allowed to be tax exempt.
Jonathan LaPorte Replied September 22, 2020, 10:35 AM EDT

Loading ...