I had a new septic field ... #723569 - Ask Extension

I had a new septic field ... #723569

I had a new septic field put in with a place to put in copper sulfate, how much do I use and do I need to run water into the access where I add the copper sulfate ? 

Macomb County Michigan

Hello, and thank you for your inquiry.

You indicate that you just had your drainfield installed. Do you mind sharing a bit more informaiton about your situation? Did you have issues with woody root intrusion? Perhaps they damaged the drainfield so much you needed a new field?

If it is a new drainfield, I am not sure why you would need to add copper sufate to your system. Beuase you are in Macomb County, I would like to suggest that you contact my colleague Terry Gibb (gibb@msu.edu), as she is based in Macomb County and has a very close relationship with the Macomb County Environmental Health, so if you can provide some additional details, she can connect with a sanitarian there, if that is helpful. I think it would be best to connect you to Macomb County so that you get the best information and recommendation possible. Their web site, though it does seem that you would have been in contact with them already about a permit to install your new drainfield, is https://health.macombgov.org/Health-Programs-EnvironmentalHealth

Thank you so much for your inquiry.
Bindu Bhakta Replied September 21, 2020, 11:56 AM EDT