Spider #723352 - Ask Extension

Spider #723352

We found this spider in our home and can use your help with identifying the species

Baltimore County North Carolina

Thank you for your question. Your photo is too dark to make out distinguishing characteristics necessary to make a positive identification. I believe your spider is one of the wolf spider species, possibly Hogna georgicola, but, again, I can't be sure based on your photograph.

Wolf spiders can be distinguished from other spiders by the placement of their eight eyes. This unique placement gives the wolf spider the ability to see well in all directions. They use their excellent vision in courtship and hunting. 

Wolf spiders generally do not build a web to capture their prey, but actively hunt. They do not capture their prey by chasing it until it is exhausted, like their namesake, but are primarily ambush hunters. They wait for an insect to pass by within range, and then dash out to capture their prey. If, after a time, no insects are encountered, the spider will move to a new location and wait.

If you would like to learn more about some of the common spiders in your area, here is an excellent field guide:

Gaddy, L.L. (2009). Spiders of the Carolinas. Duluth: Kollath+Stensaas Publishing. 

I hope this information helps, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim
Jim Burke Replied September 14, 2020, 6:29 PM EDT
Thank you very much for your reply. 

Here is a better photograph. 

Is this spider poisonous?

Thank you

Denise 
The Question Asker Replied September 14, 2020, 7:07 PM EDT
Yes, wolf spiders are venomous, and they occasionally bite people. Unless you happen to be allergic to their venom, in the same way that a small percentage of the population is allergic to honey bee stings, a wolf spider bite may cause some redness, itching and minor swelling. It can be treated in much the same way you would treat a minor insect bite.

Jim 
Jim Burke Replied September 14, 2020, 10:01 PM EDT