How to help a frog found in swimming pool #716244 - Ask Extension

How to help a frog found in swimming pool #716244

He was swimming pretty rapidly when I went to fetch him out, but now is just sitting on the net, not hopping out. I tried dousing him with a little fresh water, but did not want to stress him out anymore than he had already. He is in full sun. Any advice? I would hate for him to die.

Hancock County Maine

Thank you for your question. Extended exposure to chlorinated water in swimming pools can be fatal to frogs. If your frog wasn't in the pool very long, it will probably be fine. Leave the frog alone, and watch from a distance. It should move off on its own.

I recently found an interesting device for assisting small animals in escaping your pool once they have jumped/fallen in. I don't have a pool, so I have not tried this device, and this is not a product endorsement, but the design makes sense to me. In addition, unlike some other products used for handling wildlife issues, it's cheap - less than $20. It's called the FrogLog. Here's a link where you can find out more information:

https://www.treehugger.com/pool-owners-froglog-device-save-animals-4863821

I checked online, and the FrogLog is available from several retailers.

I hope this information helps, and thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim

Jim Burke Replied August 22, 2020, 11:25 AM EDT
Thank you, Jim! By the time that I received your response, he had hopped away. It's hard to say how long he was in the water, because I found him in the morning, but his paddling was robust enough that he seemed to have energy. I wish him all the best!
The Question Asker Replied August 22, 2020, 4:36 PM EDT
You're welcome. If he hopped away, he's most likely fine. Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.

Jim
Jim Burke Replied August 22, 2020, 5:09 PM EDT