Asian Hornet #706801 - Ask Extension

Asian Hornet #706801

I saw an article that someone posted, on Facebook, about the Asian Hornet. In the article it stated being stung by this could be fatal. I found one in one of my flower pots. I was alarmed and panicked. I flung it onto the ground, with my walking stick, and smacked it a few times. It is dead. Do you want it? Can I dispose of it? What should I do if I find another one?

Polk County Oregon

There are several other large insects (wasps, cicada killers, saw flies etc.) that may look like the Asian Giant Hornet. The hornet you saw may not be an Asian Giant Hornet. We do not have evidence that this hornet is established in Oregon. Could you please send me a picture at your convenience, so that we can identify this insect. My e-mail is ramesh.sagili@oregonstate.edu

You can send the sample to the following address: Ramesh Sagili, ALS 4017, Department of Horticulture, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331

Thank you.

Ramesh Sagili Replied July 29, 2020, 3:02 PM EDT