Wilting plants and planting #704688 - Ask Extension

Wilting plants and planting #704688

Good morning. I came home yesterday and saw some of my peppers (in pots) severely wilted. They didn’t need water. They have cages around them, so I’ve been putting newspaper on one of the cage rings to block sun. Question is about new cucumber plants. I bought them in June, but delayed planting them because I had others already in ground. Meantime, I put them in larger pots than original until planting. Thought I could plant them in mid July, and they wilted so much when outside. I finally brought them inside. Should I go on and plant them now? If so, how should I handle the wilting? Including photos of peppers and cucumber.

District of Columbia County District of Columbia

Hi - The wilting symptom in your peppers may be due to heat, watering issues (too much or too little), or inadequate container size to support the plants. Placing the containers where they will get some afternoon shade can help during these periods of extreme hot weather.

The cucumber can be planted outside now, but a plant that is already this size will need careful attention to get established. You might need to water more than once a day to help it along during these hot days. You could use shade cloth to give it some protection too. If you had it inside where it was cool from air conditioning, you might try acclimating it gradually to the outdoor conditions -- bring it outside/inside over a couple of days, increasing the time outdoors and giving it more direct sunlight exposure gradually. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/cucumbers 

Christa
Hi. Thanks for your response. I’m having trouble finding shade cloth. Person at Meadows Farm who answered phone didn’t have any idea of what I wanted, even after telling him purpose several times. American Plant suggested that I try a product called Harvest Guard. Any suggestions?  Thank you. 
The Question Asker Replied July 29, 2020, 6:22 PM EDT
Hope you got my additional question about finding shade cloth. I won’t repeat it. Thanks. 
The Question Asker Replied July 29, 2020, 6:25 PM EDT
Hi - We recommend searching online for shade cloth. Look for a type that is black and provides 30% sun block. If you search "shade cloth for home gardens 30%" you will find several options.

Christa