Scheduled Ask Extension System Maintentance This Weekend

Maintenance is scheduled for this Saturday February 27th from 10:00PM EST until Sunday February 28th 4:00AM EST. Ask Extension will not be accessible during this time.

Last question sent too early #681480 - Ask Extension

Last question sent too early #681480

See last post

Deschutes County Oregon

Hi Autumn, 

Did you receive the answer to your earlier post? Here it is: "

Hi Autumn, this program is through the Deschutes Soil and Water Conservation District. Here is their website https://www.deschutesswcd.org/

I hope this is what you are looking for."

Elizabeth Records Replied February 22, 2021, 11:48 PM EST

My question was about weeds in manure. I just made some beds to plant pollinator seed in. The manure has been aged a year or two. What kind of weeds should I expect (amount)? I also put some pictures of the main weed I pulled out of it.

Next question: What kind of seed mix and where to get for large beds that will be for pollinators and when to plant?

Any other advice for planting for pollinators?

Thank you,

Autumn

Autumn Loewen Replied February 23, 2021, 10:49 PM EST

Hello Autumn,

If I am reading your entry correctly, you worked some manure into the ground for a pollinator garden. The manure has been aged for a couple of years but it had some weeds in it that you pulled out, photos of which you included. If this is correct then you can anticipate the same kind of weeds to come up. From the photos I can see that these are broadleaf weeds. I cannot give you more identification than this other than they look to be from either the Chenopodiaceae or Amaranthaceae families. This tells me that they are primarily summer annuals. Since the pollinator garden will also be broadleaf plants you need to get the soil plot cleaned up before you seed your pollinator mix.

Even though I don’t see winter annual weeds in the ones you pulled, I suspect that there will be seeds from this type of weed also. If you want to keep this area clean non- chemically then you can anticipate a lot of hand cultivating or pulling of weeds beginning this spring and throughout the coming growing season. I suggest you do not sow any desirable seeds until you have the area really clean. There is a technique called soil solarization that you can do this summer to minimize the number of weeds you pull later this year. You would incorporate this technique beginning about early to mid-July in order to take advantage of the heat of summer. I will put a link to learning about this technique at the bottom of this response. I have found this to work well in our area if done correctly. The trick to this is to make sure there are no weeds growing in the area before you cover it. This technique will kill weed seeds in the top inch to 2 inches of the soil so it will also take care of the winter annual seeds that are still in that part of the soil. Any weed seed lower than 2 inches will have a hard time germinating so they will be minimal and easy to pull by hand the year after solarization. After doing this technique it is important to keep the area weed free until you sow your seeds. I advise not sowing your wildflower/pollinator mix for at least one more year.

If you want to manage the weeds chemically it will require less hand weeding. Spraying the winter annuals this spring when most of them are 4-6” tall will kill most of the weeds. Any stragglers, you will want to either weed whack or pull by hand. You will then want to do the same when the summer annuals come up, usually around June. Kill them chemically with a broadleaf weed killer and manage stragglers by hand. This method will not kill the seeds in the soil though and it may take several seasons to work on the planting area before you want to seed it.

One thing I would also remind you of is to plant native perennials in your pollinator area. I see some native area that looks to be behind the garden site. This would be a great space to include native perennials that are so important to some of the specialist pollinators we have. There are a couple of native nuseries in Bend that you could visit to see what plants you might like. Both WinterCreek and Great Basin Nurseries are great places in Bend to see native plants for our area. 

Here are some links to information that will help you determine how to go about managing the area before planting your desired flowers.

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74145.html

https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/em9289/html

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/collection/central-oregon-garden-publications#soil

Toni Stephan Replied February 26, 2021, 2:16 PM EST