Tons of mini frogs on Grand Island #660711 - Ask Extension

Tons of mini frogs on Grand Island #660711

We were just bicycling on a dirt road on Grand Island this weekend. Near Murray Beach we suddenly saw thousands of very tiny gray frogs crossing the road as we rode down it for about half a mile! Each frog was maybe 0.5” long. What kind of frog might it have been and what were they doing?

Kent County Michigan

Boy, that's a tough one without any photos. Based on the tiny froglets I usually see in the field and your description, I would say that they were likely recently metamorphosed or transformed American toads (or toadlets). They are about that size and color and often seen this time of year or a little later in the summer. Another possibility would be wood frogs, but they are usually more brown rather than gray but can appear gray if covered with mud/dirt. Sorry - this is the best I can do without photos of the frogs. If you get a chance to take a photo or photos of the frogs next time you see them, feel free to send them to me at leeyum@msu.edu, and I should be able to identify them for you if the photos are clear enough.

Yu Man Lee Replied July 10, 2020, 10:17 AM EDT
Thanks for your best guess. So, where we they all going and why?
The Question Asker Replied July 12, 2020, 2:18 PM EDT
Oh, and I looked up an image of the toadlets and you're totally right. That's what they were!
The Question Asker Replied July 12, 2020, 2:19 PM EDT
Glad to hear that they were toadlets! They likely had just metamorphosed/transformed into "adults" and were leaving the wetland in which they had developed to head into the surrounding forest and open habitats for the summer. 

Best,

Yu Man Lee Replied July 13, 2020, 10:21 AM EDT