How to amend soil round Skip Laurel, yellowing and browning #660094 - Ask Extension

How to amend soil round Skip Laurel, yellowing and browning #660094

My skip laurel was transplanted in early spring and was very happy, all flowering. The leaves at the base have been yellowing (lots of rain in June) and now the underneath leaves are crinkly brown (not much rain last week). Some branches are just wilting. I can't tell if I'm overwatering or under-watering. In one spot around shrub the water pools (first picture) but is absorbed within five minutes; elsewhere it is absorbed right away. I know these want well-drained soil. The soil doesn't feel dry or wet, and it's very hot out. Some areas might be clay-ish. How can I save this? Peat moss? More acid in soil? (Tends toward alkaline) Compost? Should I prune off dead branches? Am I overwatering or under?

New York County New York

Thank you for your question. The major problem that most newly planted plants have is improper planting. This can be compounded by over/under watering, and nutrient issues. Unfortunately, these cannot be diagnosed through photos, and may require soil and/or tissue testing. I suggest you contact your own county Extension service for advice: https://cce.cornell.edu/localoffices Good luck!
Kristena LaMar Replied July 09, 2020, 11:05 AM EDT