Blue Spruce Droopy Branches #649139 - Ask Extension

Blue Spruce Droopy Branches #649139

My new year's and 1-year old shoots are healthy and vibrant, but the 3rd year and older portions of the branches are droopy, wilted, sad looking. No premature needle drop, no noticeable insects, no oozing sap. Affects entire tree on all three of my blue spruce. I fertilize each spring and are watered with my lawn irrigation. They just don't look happy and healthy. Any suggestions?

Hennepin County Minnesota

It may be a root problem because one of the symptoms is wilty branches.  More likely is that it is responding to the very hot days of the last 3 summers,  Colorado Blue Spruce are not well adapted to hot and humid summers. This kind of weather is responsible for their decline in Minnesota.  Mulching under the tree out to the drip line and checking the soil under the tree to make sure it is not bone dry will help. Extra water on days in the high 80’s and 90 ‘s may help. Of course, too much water is as bad as too little so don’t keep the soil soggy. The photo doesn’t show what is under the tree so if there is turf, turf is a huge competitor for water. Watering deeply is best for trees.
Claire Kari Replied June 13, 2020, 6:44 AM EDT