Bee lawn #647122 - Ask Extension

Bee lawn #647122

I overseeded 3000 sft of thin grass with beelawn mix seeds. I scalped the existing grass and bagged with a mower first. The new seed is sprouting and coming in ok, it's been 2 weeks since I seeded. I water every day for the new seeds. The existing grass is now very tall and laying over in some spots. I'm concerned that the existing grass will now shade and cover the new seeds trying to grow. Is it ok to mow and bag to get rid of the tall existing grass? I'm afraid I'm going to tear up the new seedlings by running a mower and walking on them, but also concerned about the shading and covering of the existing grass. Can you tell me what to do? Or, do the new seedlings just need more time to try and grow. Thank you.

Dakota County Minnesota

If you can set the mower so it cuts higher than the seedlings, you can mow but only do a small patch and check for damage before proceeding. Some shade will help the seedlings by keeping them cooler and conserving moisture. Mowing is probably the riskier choice. 
Claire Kari Replied June 08, 2020, 8:15 AM EDT