Mulch for New Vegetable Garden #641024 - Ask Extension

Mulch for New Vegetable Garden #641024

I've built 8 raised beds in a fence enclosed 20x16 area (deer). Tomatoes, Eggplant, Cucumbers, Peppers and Greens. I am trying to determine the best mulch to use. I read that for tomatoes and peppers, landscape fabric might be good. Just wondering if you have any thoughts. My soil is ~7 ph. Thanks Bob Grant

Livingston County Michigan

Hi Bob,

Landscape fabric is a good choice for warm season crops. The dark color fabric helps to increase the soil temperature faster in the spring and helps to control weeds. In addition, landscape fabrics can save you money in the long run as they can last for up to 10 years.
Landscape fabric will not impact the ph level of the soil, the veggies you've identified should do well with the existing 7.0ph levels in your garden. 

Below is a link to an article published by MSU, "Select the right vegetable garden mulch".   Hope you find the article intresting and helpful.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/select_the_right_vegetable_garden_mulch

Pam

Pam Voss Replied May 28, 2020, 8:45 AM EDT