Spring pruning of shrubs #621731 - Ask Extension

Spring pruning of shrubs #621731

Can I prune these shrubs now (early April): "Little Quick Fire" Hydrangea Physocarpus Opulifolius "Little Devil" If ok to prune, do I cut down to the ground, or do only a partial prune, and if so, how much? These plants are healthy and have flourished. They are 3 years old

Dakota County Minnesota

Little Quick FIre should be pruned now (caution it blooms on new wood) any new buds on new branches you cut will be lost for this season. Never trim more than a ⅓ of the length of the branch.

Little Devil Ninebark hydrangeas  https://pss.uvm.edu/ppp/articles/ninebark.html  Some of the oldest branches can be pruned out in spring, or the plant can be trimmed to shape after bloom. Cut back the stems about one-third after bloom to make plants more bushy. Don’t prune past mid-summer. If a plant is large and out of control, it can be cut back to near the ground in late winter to rejuvenate, and it will regrow.

Steve Miles Replied April 06, 2020, 9:17 PM EDT
Thank you so much for the expert and very timely advice
The Question Asker Replied April 06, 2020, 9:37 PM EDT