Red maple is not okay! #609472 - Ask Extension

Red maple is not okay! #609472

Asked January 02, 2020, 10:18 AM EST

Hello, I'm vinicius, I am a maple tree lover, I live in southeast Brazil and I have a red maple tree (Acer rubrum) in a container that I got one year ago, this spring (October in brazil) it started its new growth well but suddenly the new leaves started to look weird, they started to shrivel, to get brittle and some dark spots and the new leaves didn't develop at all they kept tiny until they fell off. The top of the tree has many buds that hasn't grown yet, they seem to want to wake up but when they do tiny and undeveloped leaves emerge
I hope you can help me

Ingham County Outside United States

Thank you for your question. One of the drawbacks of using the Internet fot plant diagnoses is that we have neither the ability to examine the tree and its tissues, nor knowledge about which pathogens (and insects) are present in your area. Here is a listing of diseases known in the Pacific Northwest: https://pnwhandbooks.org/plantdisease/host-and-disease-descriptions?title=acer Your photos are helpful, and from the information I have, I would suspect anthracnose. But I would suggest that you find a local tree expert, plant pathology lab, or agricultural university resource familiar with your region. Hope this is a start. Good luck!
Kristena LaMar Replied January 02, 2020, 10:58 AM EST