Red Oak tree in yard #597475 - Ask Extension

Red Oak tree in yard #597475

I noticed a black jelly or tar like substance growing/oozing on the north side on the bottom 3 feet of one of my red oak trees! Curious as to what it might be and if I need to take steps to correct this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Genesee County Michigan

This is interesting.  I am having some experts at MSU taking a look at this.  Is the tree showing any other symptoms such as limb dieback, early leaf drop or coloring, soft spots on bark, or sloughing bark?, Do you know the age of the tree?  A picture of the whole tree may be helpful.  We look forward to your response.
Barry Andersen Replied September 18, 2019, 8:07 AM EDT
After consulting with our experts at MSU, Diagnostic Services Plant Pathologist

Jan Byrne, Ph.D. sent the following:

"The brown growths on the trunk of the tree are likely a Tremella sp., a fungus. This is not a plant pathogen, but rather is just growing on the bark surface. As a result, there is no action needed in regard to control. " 

This is what they refer to as a Jelly Fungus. There are also some Jelly Fungus that are similar such as Bulgaria inquinans or Exidia glandulosa.

Barry Andersen Replied September 24, 2019, 9:13 AM EDT