Ground Cover? #569132 - Ask Extension

Ground Cover? #569132

I've Xeriscaped the majority of my property, but I have two areas in 50% sun (mid-day when the house and garage don't shade the patio area) that are each about 200 sq ft that I need to do something with.  Right now, I planted clover, but it's much bigger and more difficult to keep up with than I expected.  So, I'm ready to start over.  Wondering what you suggest.  There will be some foot traffic in the areas, as I have a 2 year old, but pretty limited overall.  I was looking online at things like Rupturewort and Thyme, but I'm not sure if either of them are a good idea.  Would like your professional opinion on plants that can functionally act as "grass" but very low water and maintenance.

Andy

Denver County Colorado

It sounds like you are looking for something low maintenance but still has the characteristics of a lawn.  Dog Tuff grass might be perfect for your needs.   https://plantselect.org/learn/dog-tuff-grass-everything-you-need-to-know/

I have wooly thyme between flagstones and it does well there.  It spreads well, is drought tolerant and does stand up to light foot traffic, but I loose some every every winter. Rupturewort struggles in our winter climate and might not winter over well.

Gardening Help Replied June 13, 2019, 3:36 PM EDT