Asian pear tree bark #554200

Asked 2019-04-18 20:34:36

The bottom 2 feet of my eight-year-old Asian pear tree is showing some signs of cracking. It looks kind of like when mud dries. It's not cracking deep into the trunk. I'm wondering if it's because of the irrigation system which sprays on the trunk of the tree every day. As you can see from the photos the one that shows the most cracking is the oldest of the three saplings. I showed another photo of smooth bark to show how it looks above the cracking area. Is this normal for an asian pear tree look like this? Should I protect it from the constant spray of water which hits the trunk every day? There are several options I have. At the nursery there's a tree guard which looks like a flat plastic spiral you wrap around the trunk. Or I could tent the whole area with a barrier made of steaks and clear vinyl. Or is this really necessary? N

Multnomah County New York

It is normal for this tree to have a more crackled appearance to the trunk as it ages. As long as you do not see any deep fissures, associated disease markers (strange growth, weeping) or insects, it is probably nothing to worry about.

It would be a good idea to decrease the moisture on the trunk from the sprinklers as that can support disease. If you use a barrier, keep it away from the trunk so that it does not contribute to a humid trunk environment which will also promote fungal disease.

An Expert Replied 2019-04-19 15:37:45
 Thank you very much for putting my mind to ease. I will definitely find a way to block some of the moisture, while not touching the trunk of the tree. Thank you for helping me keep my Asian pear tree healthy. It died a few years back and I cut it down and then new saplings came up from the root base. I was so happy to see it come back. It's about 8 feet tall now and had blossoms this year. It looks like there's tiny pears forming. I love this little tree  
The Question Asker Replied 2019-04-19 17:50:09